MICA IS SO PROUD TO BE AFFILIATED TO SAPMA
South African Paint Manufacturers Association – as this programme is the first step in in the Environmental Sustainability Focus for Micaand secures us early participation in this new Global Movement.
The main benefits of belonging to SAPMA are:
- The membership of SAPMA has been broadened to include all the facets of the industry as a whole and now encompass the following membership. This expansion of the association has been necessitated to:
- The manufacturers of paint/surface coatings (of which the membership represents 70% of all products manufactured in South Africa.)
- Associate members, representing all major suppliers of raw materials to the paint/surface coatings industry.
- Retailer membership has been extended to the distribution channels of paint /coatings manufacturers to all purveyors of paints and coatings to consumers and public.
- Paint Contractor, representing contractors who are affiliated and registered to SAPMA and abide to the code of conduct and ethics standards of the Association.
- The multifaceted membership provides the opportunity of comprehensive networking opportunities between the various stakeholders.
- All members subscribe and adhere to a mandatory Code of Conduct and Code of Practice.
- A comprehensive and collective campaign to eliminate harmful “Lead in Paint” with the appointment of SAPMA affiliated/ approved manufacturers, suppliers, retailers and painting contractors.
- SAPMA ad hoc committees deal with key issues pertaining to the industry on an ongoing basis and advise members. Current topics include:
- Compliance with packaging requirements.
- Under SABS 0229 – transport of dangerous goods.
- Response to “Lead in Paint” issues. Links to international authorities and experts.
- Imminent Legislature pertaining to ‘Extended Producer Responsibility ‘and waste collection in relation to paint industry.
- Imminent Legislation pertaining to ‘Consumer Protection Act’ and its influence on the industry.
- Liaison with the Government and statutory/standard setting organisations on matters affecting the surface coatings industry:
- Technical standards.
- Effluent and waste management.
- Fire safety/Health and safety in general.
- SAPMA’s interactive Web site affording access to a myriad of information pertaining to the paint/coatings industry and links to world wide information and expertise.
- Members contribute to an audited statistical scheme highlighting national sales and cost of sales statistics.
- Attendance of bi-annual Coatings Industry Conference affording opportunities of insight into worldwide expertise on technical and business trends.
- Continuous updating of all regulatory and legislative information pertaining to the paint/coatings industry.
- Continuous update of Press Releases and information regarding the South African Paint Industry.
- Advisory councils for technical assistance for smaller members.
- Advisory and councils for ISO 9001/9002 accreditation audits.
- Discounted membership of NCS colour technology registration and training.
So what does this mean for the consumer?
Mica customers can rest assured that all paint purchased from Mica is LEAD FREE, ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY and conforms to all the necessary standards set out by the South Africa Bureau of Standards (SABS).
Click here to view the SAPMA website. www.sapma.co.za